This salad will convert even the most adamant lentil-hater. Tangy orange juice, spicy Dijon mustard, crispy fennel, crunchy pistachios, and creamy avocado all come together to create a kaleidoscope of flavor. As a bonus, you'll learn how to cook lentils so they'll turn out perfectly (not too dry or too mushy!) every single time.
Lentil-Fennel Dijon Salad With Avocado [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups cooked lentils (1 cup dry)
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (1 orange, depending how juicy it is)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fennel, thinly sliced
- Toasted pistachios
- Avocado, sliced or cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For 2 1/2 cups of cooked lentils, you will need to cook 1 cup of dried lentils. Here’s the perfect method for cooking lentils so they aren’t mushy or underdone.
- Rinse and drain the dried lentils and place them in a small pot with 2 cups of water. Bring the lentils to a boil and then immediately turn the heat way down until they reach just a simmer. Leave them simmering without a lid for 30-37 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed and the lentils are soft, but not falling apart. It might take longer depending on your elevation.
- Place the cooked lentils in a large mixing bowl, and add the orange juice, coconut aminos, dijon mustard, lemon zest, garlic, mint and fennel, and mix until everything is incorporated.
- Top with chopped pistachios and avocado slices or cubes when serving.