These tacos are layered with all kinds of goodness. Red and green lentils make up the base, then sautéed peppers, onions and mushrooms, then a whole bunch of fresh garnishes. The second best part of these tacos (the first being the taste) is that you prepare all of the ingredients and let your guests do the rest of the work, filling and layering to their own taste. These lentil tacos are the perfect summer meal.
High-Protein Lentil and Split Lentil Tacos [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 20 corn taco shells (make sure these are gluten-free if making gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 1/2 cup dried red split lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 onions, chopped (divided)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: iceberg lettuce, chopped fresh tomato, chopped avocado, pickled jalapeño, red chilis, lime and fresh coriander/cilantro (optional)
- In a pot, add both lentils, cover with water, bring to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes until soft. Drain.
- In a pan on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1 chopped onion and cook until soft. Add the cooked lentils and all of the spices and season with salt and pepper. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same bowl (to save on cleaning), add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, the other chopped onion, both peppers, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft.
- Chop up all of the garnishes and place in piles or in little bowls.
- Fill your taco shells with the lentil mixture, then pepper mixture then garnishes. Finish with a squeeze of lime.
To save time, you can use canned lentils.