Soft, roasted butternut squash, tangy onions, and fresh herbs make this salad light and flavorful! This recipe keeps well in the fridge, meaning it's the perfect take-along for weekday work lunches!
Lemony Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad [Vegan]
- 1/2 large butternut squash, diced small
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- 1/3 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1/3 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 small lemon (about 3-4 tablespoons)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the butternut squash on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes, or until soft.
- While squash is roasting, in a medium pot cook the onions, garlic, and shallot with water or vegetable broth until soft and translucent.
- Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve until water runs clear. Drain, transfer to the pot with the remaining ingredients up to the vegetable broth
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer until water is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat for 5 minutes, covered, then uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Add in the spinach, squash, cranberries, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and stir until combined. Adjust seasonings to taste as needed.