Cute, kitchy, old-fashioned bundt pans take a perfectly tasty “normal” shaped cake and turn it into something a bit fancier. Any frosting you like will work for this vegan lemon poppy seed cake, but the basic lemon glaze recipe with powdered sugar is fantastic! Consider also trying a vegan cream cheese frosting! To get a nice pretty look with the frosting sliding down the sides, make the frosting nice and thick. This vegan lemon poppy seed cake is phenomenal––you have to try it!
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blackberries, to garnish
For the Basic Lemon Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease pan with vegetable shorting and then dust with flour. Be sure to get in all the edges and crevices.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour into pan. Fill 3/4 of the way full.
- Tap pan on the counter to release any air and fill all creases.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn cake over onto a cake plate.
- Wait until cool before adding the glaze.
- Garnish with fresh blackberries.
To Make the Glaze:
- Whisk together sugar, lemon juice, and salt.
- Slowly add in non-dairy milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until frosting is thick and creamy.
- Frosting should be really thick like molasses.
- Using the whisk or spoon, drop over the top of cake. It should slowly pour over the sides.
- Let rest and frosting will harden.
When it comes to getting your bundt cake to come out of the pan beautifully without sticking, I have found the best luck with generously greasing pan with vegetable shorting, then dusting with flour. Try to get both in all corners and creases of the pan. I then wait 10 minutes after baking to invert onto a cake plate.