Soft, pillowy, chewy lemon cookies studded with colorful sprinkles and topped with a creamy lemon icing. These cookies are vegan, gluten-free, and healthier than your average cookie.
Lemon Funfetti Cookies [Vegan]
For the Cookies:
- 1 tablespoon golden flax seed meal*
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup softened coconut oil*
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. To a small bowl, whisk together flax seed meal and water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- To a large mixing bowl, use a handheld mixer to cream together flax egg, coconut oil, and maple syrup until creamy. Whisk in the lemon juice, zest, and almond extract. Add the flours, baking soda and powder, and salt. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to combine until a soft dough forms. Fold in sprinkles.
- Use a small cookie scoop to distribute dough on to the baking sheet. Slightly flatten each ball with the palm of your hand. Bake for 12-15 minutes. until edges turn golden brown and tops are slightly firm to touch. They may seem a bit underdone but that is ok! That is the secret for making these pillowy and soft, so do not exceed the max time.
- Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire cooling rack. While cookies are cooling, prepare the icing. Whisk together all icing ingredients until smooth.
- Spread icing over the cookies and top with more sprinkles.
*Golden flax seed meal is preferred over brown, because it hinders a lighter color which will result in a lighter colored cookie. However, you can use brown but it may cause the final cookies to have some brown specks. *If your coconut oil is hard at room temperature, soften it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds making sure it does not melt.