These tart lemon and coconut bars taste just like lemon pound cake! They're packed with healthy ingredients like flax, chia, and homemade protein powder to help you recover after the gym!
Lemon Coconut Protein Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup protein powder
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flax seed, plus 3 tablespoons water each)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup freshly lemon juice (including pulp)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 356°F. Grease and line a square cake tin and put aside.
- Combine protein powder, almond meal, coconut flour and desiccated coconut in a large bowl and whisk until well mixed. Put aside.
- Prepare your flax eggs and set aside for 15 minutes. Add maple syrup, lemon juice, zest, and chia seeds and continue to beat until all incorporated.
- Turn stand mixer to lowest speed, or mix in by hand the dry ingredients mixture and stir in gently until just combined. Pour into prepared baking dish and smooth out with back of wooden spoon or spatula. Bake for 30 minutes, or until skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely Remove from tin, cut once horizontally, and then cut each portion into 6 bars to make 12 bars total.