This was one of the first raw cakes I ever learned how to make. It is really simple, so always a good one to teach people new to raw desserts, and its creamy yet zesty filling is a crowd pleaser every time! Although I always like to use organic ingredients, whether you do or not, try and make the lemons organic in the recipe because you use the zest- and the skin is always the part of the fruit sprayed with the most pesticides, just a little helpful tip!
Lemon, Coconut and Vanilla Tart [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1 cup of soft or soaked dates
- 1/4 cup of soaked dried apricots
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/2 vanilla bean (seeds only) or 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup Brazil nuts
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1 large lemon- zest and juice
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut nectar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- 1/2 a vanilla bean (seeds only) or 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
To Make the Crust:
- Process the almonds in a food processor until they begin to break down slightly.
- Strain the dates and apricots and add them to the food processor, along with the coconut and vanilla.
- Process until the mixture comes together but still has some texture to it.
- Press the mixture into the base of a 9-inch springform pie tin and place aside while you make your filling.
To Make the Filling:
- Process the brazil nuts in a food processor until they form a fine powder.
- Add the bananas, lemon juice and zest, coconut nectar, vanilla, and coconut. Process the mixture until very smooth and then add the coconut oil and continue to process briefly until everything is well mixed.
- Pour the creamy mixture into the pie crust, decorate with goii berries, pistachios, coconut and lemon zest.