Here’s an easy recipe for gluten-free vegan lemon cake with poppy seeds. It comes with chocolate frosting and tons of healthy legumes and veggies hidden inside while all the oils and refined sugars are left out. You won’t be able to resist the delicate lemon flavour combined with creamy-dreamy chocolate topping.
Lemon Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 can (8 1/2 ounces) of unsalted chickpeas
- 5 1/3 ounces raw summer squash, cut into bigger chunks
- 7 ounces additive-free oat milk
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons birch xylitol or date sugar
- 1 ounce tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon mesquite flour
- 4 teaspoons of dried lemon zest or 4-5 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1 1/2 ounces coconut flour
- 1/2 ounce fat-reduced almond flour (protein powder)
- 1 1/4 ounces raw buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Start with rinsing and draining the chickpeas really well. Then, blend them with raw summer squash, oat milk, tahini, salt and sweetener into a smooth batter.
- Next, add ground chia seeds and mesquite and process again. You may use either blender or immersion blender.
- In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients – use a fork to separate any chunks of flour. Then, pour the wet mixture over dry and mix until well incorporated.
- Line the bottom of a 5.9-inch round cake tin with parchment paper and grease the sides with coconut oil, avocado oil or olive oil. Transfer the batter into cake tin and spread it out evenly using a spatula or spoon. Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour and let cool completely before slicing or cutting the cake into half (for frosting). You can also keep it in fridge overnight before serving and/or decorating.
If you want your lemon cake baked and cooled faster and don’t care for the round shape, transfer the batter onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper and form about 17x17cm (6.8 inch) square or similar size rectangle (use a spatula). Bake for 40 minutes and let cool