This loaf is full of delicious flavor from the lemon and zucchini! This loaf pairs perfectly with your favorite warm beverage!
Lemon and Zucchini Loaf Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup zucchini, grated (this is approximately one large zucchini, after all the water has been squeezed out)
- 1/4 cup lemon zest and 60ml lemon juice (roughly 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup soy milk (or any other plant milk)
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup lemon zest (roughly two lemons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon chia seeds + 3 tablespoons hot water)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons juice (roughly half a lemon)
- 1 or 2 drops of yellow food coloring gel
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9x5 inch loaf tin with parchment paper, making sure to leave some overhanging on both sides so the cake can be lifted out easily.
- Prepare the chia egg by mixing 1 tbsp chia seeds with 1 tbsp hot water. Set aside. It should become gloopy after a couple of minutes.
- Grate the courgette (no need to peel it). Wrap it in kitchen towel then squeeze out all the moisture over the sink. You could use your hands to do this if you don't have kitchen towel! This is a very important step to ensure the cake doesn't become soggy!
- Into a large bowl, add the courgette, sugar, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, oil, and chia egg. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients- the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, flour and sugar. Mix thoroughly until a thick batter is formed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer (if you don't have a skewer, you can use a small knife!) inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the tin.
- After the cake is completely cool, prepare the lemon glaze by mixing together the icing sugar, lemon juice and yellow food coloring. To make the glaze thicker add more icing sugar, and to make it thinner add more lemon juice. Pour over the cake.
- Top with lemon slices and chia seeds. Serve!