Just because summer is over doesn't mean that you have to wave goodbye to fresh and vibrant indulgences. This zesty, vitamin-rich treat is a great accompaniment to your afternoon tea or coffee. I have always been a big fan of lemon cake and this is my very first vegan attempt - with tangerine as an added twist! The tangy lemon balances perfectly with the sweetness of the tangerine, and the flecks of lemon and tangerine zest in the cake batter are like little jewels, providing an additional burst of flavor.
Lemon and Tangerine Cake [Vegan]
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used coconut in this case)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 lemons (juice and zest)
- 1 large tangerine (juice and zest)
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the salt.
- In another bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together, including the oil, non-dairy milk, vinegar, juice of one lemon and the juice of one tangerine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour and mix to form a cake batter. Incorporate the grated zest of two lemons and the zest of one tangerine. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter into a lightly oiled cake tin and bake in a pre-heated 350°F oven, for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for half an hour and then squeeze the juice of half a lemon or tangerine over the top. Sprinkle with a little extra sugar (optional) and garnish with fresh tangerine segments.