This pasta dish is quick, easy, requires a handful of staple ingredients, colorful with the lemon and asparagus, rich with flavor, rich with healthy fats and protein with the cashews, perf for spring/summer, can easily be made in bulk, perf for entertaining, and you can easily add whatever protein you like to this dish!!
Lemon and Asparagus Pasta in a Cashew Cream Sauce [Vegan]
- 4 cups cooked linguini pasta
- 1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 1 cup soaked cashews (overnight or boiled for 10 minutes)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (garnish)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Cook asparagus until crispy, then season with pinch of salt. Transfer to a plate and set aside. If you'd rather reduce the oil content you can simply heat the skillet with a few cups of water covering the asparagus. Bring to boil, drop the asparagus in for 1 minute. seconds, then remove and place in an ice water bath. (blanching)
- In the same skillet heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Cook the shallots for 3 minutes, add garlic and cooke for 2.
- Remove and add to a high power blender with the soaked cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt/pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan and toss and coat with the sauce. Add the sauteed or blanched asparagus. Garnish with parsley and lemons.