Adding celeriac to dishes that are steamed or boiled brings out the flavor of celery with a nutty twist. Celeriac also has the texture of a potato, which makes it a perfect addition to this soup. Leeks are related to onion and garlic but they are sweeter. Together, these two vegetables made a light spring soup with a delicate flavor that's perfect for warmer days.
Leek and Celeriac Soup [Vegan]
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green part only
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Halve the leeks lengthwise, and rinse very well, then cut into 1/3-inch slices.
- Sauté the leeks over medium-high heat in olive oil with a pinch of salt for about 10 minutes, until tender but not browned. Add garlic and thyme, and sauté for 3 more minutes.
- Add celery root, a pinch of salt, and a generous grinding of black pepper.
- Add the water, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the celery root can be easily pierced with a knife.
- Blend in a blender until very smooth.
- Add lemon juice and taste for seasoning.