Ready for a quick Lebanese mujadara recipe with lemon-herb vinaigrette? This mouthwatering plant-based meal includes caramelized onions, aromatic spices, and a combination of red lentils and bulgur.
Lebanese Mujadara with Lemon-Herb Vinaigrette [Vegan]
For the Lebanese Mujadara:
- 4 medium onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked or sweet)
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (use 1/2 a cup for the onions)
- 1 cup of red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup bulgur, rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Lemon-mint vinaigrette:
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1/3 cup chopped mint
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir them constantly until they start to brown.
- Stir in 1/2 a cup of vegetable broth and continue cooking until the broth evaporates.
- Transfer half of the onions to a plate and cover them to keep them warm. Alternatively, you can transfer them to a baking tray and keep them warm in the oven at 425°F.
- Once you have removed the onions, add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, and paprika to the cooking pot. Stir to mix them in.
- Add the vegetable broth and use a spoon to pick up any pieces of onion or spices that may have stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Mix in the lentils and bulgur and bring the pot to a medium simmer (low boil). Cover the pot and lower the heat slightly so that it doesn’t boil over.
- Check after 10 minutes and give the contents of the pot a stir. Add another ½ cup of broth or water if the liquid is mostly absorbed already.
- Cover the pot and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the lentils and bulgur are tender. At this point, most or all of the broth has dissipated.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine lemon juice, garlic, mint, and parsley.
- Garnish individual servings of mujadara with the remaining onions and lemon-herb vinaigrette.
- Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To reheat on the stove or microwave, add water. This keeps it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.