A creamy and comforting vegan gluten free lasagna that was made for the stove top.
Lasagna [Vegan, Gluten Free]
For the Vegan Meat Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup carrot (pulsed in the food processor to chop finely- roughly 1 medium carrot))
- 1/3 cup celery (pulsed in the food processor to chop finely-2 stalks)
- 1/2 lbs mushrooms (pulsed in the food processor to chop finely- roughly 7-8 mushrooms)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup cashew cream (optional)
For the Cashew Ricotta:
- 1 cup cashews (soaked)
- 1/3 cup water (add additional 1-2 tbsp if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Sea salt
For the Lasagna:
- 8-11 gluten free lasagna noodles (broken in half-oven ready noodles)
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon oil
For the Vegan Meat Sauce:
- Prepare the vegan meat sauce by heating a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tsp of oil to the pan.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes. Pulse the carrots, celery, and mushrooms (each on their own) to create very small pieces. Add to the onion mixture and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, bay leaf, and seasonings. Mix together.
- Next, add the crushed tomatoes and veggie broth to the mixture. Add the cashew cream now, if using. Bring to a slight boil and then simmer for ten minutes (covered). Stir every few minutes. Once done, remove the bay leaf.
- Prepare the cashew ricotta. Once your cashews have been soaking for at least 1 hour add them to a blender. (You can soak the cashews in boiled water for 30 minutes if short on time).
- Add the cashews and the rest of the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Start with 1/3 cup of water and if you need to thin out the ricotta add 1-2 tablespoons more. Ricotta should be thick but smooth.
- Take a skillet and add 1 tsp of oil to the pan along with 2 cups of pasta sauce. Break apart the lasagna noodles (in half or small broken pieces). Add one layer of noodles in the pan, then add roughly 1/2 cup of the meat sauce over the noodles and then dollop 1/3 of the ricotta on top and spread it over the noodles. Add another layer of broken noodles, more meat sauce, and more ricotta. Then add the last layer of noodles, and meat sauce and ricotta. Make sure the noodles are nestled in among the tomato sauce, meat sauce, and ricotta. Let it simmer for 15-25 minutes or until the noodles are soft.
- Serve immediately. Store in a sealed container and reheat before eating.