You will fall in love with this Korean BBQ Tofu dish. A thick block of firm tofu is sliced and then marinated in a thick, sweet, and salty BBQ glaze. Serve over rice with a sprinkle of green onions and sesame seeds.
Korean BBQ Tofu [Vegan]
- 1 14-ounce package of firm tofu
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2–1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 5 garlic cloves, squeezed through a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon water
To Make the Sauce:
- In a saucepan, combine the coconut sugar, tamari, water, rice wine vinegar, Sriracha, sesame oil, black pepper, ginger, and garlic. Heat on high and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, combine the tapioca starch and water until smooth.
- Once the sauce is at a boil, add in the starch mixture and whisk until thick.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
To Make the Tofu:
- Slice the tofu in slabs, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium high heat. Add a spoonful of your favorite cooking oil.
- Add the tofu in a single layer and fry until golden, then flip over and fry the other side.
- Pour on the Korean BBQ sauce.
- Leave on the heat for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce is hot and bubbly. Serve.