Brussels sprouts are usually enjoyed with mild flavor enhancements like a drizzle of oil or balsamic. These Korean BBQ sprouts however, are brought to the next level with a savory-sweet BBQ sauce. Enjoy these as an appetizer or a side dish, just go easy with the sauce so that they maintain their crispy exterior!
Korean BBQ Brussels Sprouts [Vegan]
For the Sauce:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons scallions
For the Brussels Sprouts:
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
To Make the Sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add all the sauce ingredients except for the arrowroot and water. Whisk everything together and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, stir together the arrowroot and water until it dissolves. Gradually pour the mixture into the boiling sauce, while continuously whisking for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes, until the sauce has become thickened. Remove from heat and cool before pouring into a jar.
To Make the Brussels:
- Preheat oven to 400°F and set a rack on the very top. Prepare the Brussels by cutting off the base of each sprout, slicing them in half from top to bottom and remove the excess or loose exterior leaves. Soak the cut Brussels for a minute in water to clean them. Drain and spread Brussels out on a paper towel to dry while the oven is preheating.
- Cover a large-rimmed baking sheet with foil and spread the Brussels out on the pan.Generously drizzle the Brussels with sesame oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Stir with your hands to ensure Brussels are all well-oiled and salted. Place in the oven on the top rack for about 45-60 minutes. After 20 and 40 minutes, stir the Brussels to ensure all sides get crispy and charred. Remove any extra crispy pieces to add to the finished dish.
- Remove Brussels from the oven once all of them are crispy and slightly charred.
- Place them in a bowl and toss with some of the Korean BBQ sauce. Do this a little at a time as you don’t want the Brussels to be soaked in sauce so they retain their crispy texture.