This Kohlrabi Schnitzel Burger is super delicious! It tastes kind of summery – despite the Thousand Island sauce. Kohlrabi (or german turnip or turnip cabbage) is the base for these burgers. Kohlrabi Schnitzels are great with potatoes or rice, but they make an awesome burger patty as well!
Kohlrabi Schnitzel Burger [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Kohlrabi Schnitzel Burger [Vegan]
- 1 larger Kohlrabi
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose-flour (you can sub it with besan or soy flour)
- 1 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- a few pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Burger Buns
How to Prepare Kohlrabi Schnitzel Burger [Vegan]
- In a large pot bring water to a boil.
- Take any additional leaves off the Kohlrabi and wash it thoroughly.
- Cut the Kohlrabi in slices (about ⅓ inch) and place them in the hot water, reduce the heat to medium-high. Let them cook for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the flour with three tablespoons of water and add ½ teaspoon of salt & ½ teaspoon of paprika powder (it should have an egg-like consistency, add more water or flour to achieve that).
- Pour the breadcrumbs on a plate and add ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of paprika powder, also add in crushed pumpkin seeds and the sesame if you like.
- When the Kohlrabi Slices are a bit softer, place them first in the flour-water mixture, then in the breadcrumbs-mixture and set them aside.
- In a large pan heat the olive oil and add in the Kohlrabi Schnitzel. Let them fry on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes per side.
- They should be golden on both sides.
- After frying, put them on a paper towel to remove excess oil and enjoy!
- Mix the vegan mayonnaise with the ketchup and lime juice.
- Slice the burger buns in half, place the Kohlrabi Schnitzel inside, top with the Thousand Island sauce and spinach.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.