This traditional Indian dish is designed as a hearty meal that will assist with your digestion. The beans and rice are soaked overnight with apple cider vinegar make it easier for your body to digest them and retain the important vitamins and minerals. On top of that, the ginger and turmeric added to the rice and beans have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. So this dish tastes great and it will make you feel great!
Kitchari: Ayurvedic Dish for Gut Health [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup brown basmati or short grain brown rice
- 1 cup green mung beans
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1-2-inch piece of peeled ginger root, grated
- 1 1-2-inch piece of turmeric, grated (or 2-3 teaspoons ground turmeric)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- A pinch of gluten-free asafoetida/hing (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place the rice and beans in a large glass bowl or measuring cup and cover it with water and stir in 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Allow it to soak for 12-24 hours or overnight.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan over high heat and bring them to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer for 20-40 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Stir this occasionally to keep the bottom from burning. The amount of cooking time depends on how long you soaked the rice and beans and what type of rice you are using.
- Season it with additional salt and pepper if desired and serve.