This hearty soup is chalked full of healthy vegetables and tasty rice noodles. The khao soi paste gives it a burst of bright flavors and ties the dish together. This soup is perfect for a chilly winter evening.
Khao Soi: Thai Cut Rice Noodle Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Khao Soi: Thai Cut Rice Noodle Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Khao Soi Paste:
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander stems
- 2 lemongrass stalks, white inner part only, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoon water
For the Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 14-ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 3/4 ounces per person of rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Salt, to taste
For the Garnish:
- A handful of Shiitake mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 1 sliced red onion, peeled
- 1-2 handfuls of bean sprouts, washed
- A handful of coriander leaves, washed
- Spring onions, chopped
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Peanuts or black sesame seeds, for serving
How to Prepare Khao Soi: Thai Cut Rice Noodle Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- First made the vegetable broth by dissolving 1 vegetable cube in of hot water. When that's done, set it aside.
- Next, make the khao soi paste. Place the shallots, garlic, ginger, coriander stems, ground coriander, turmeric, lemongrass, curry powder and 2 tablespoons of water in a food processor, adding more water if need be, until a smooth paste is formed.
- Place the oil in a large pot, heat it briefly, then add the khao soi paste, stirring it constantly, until it's slightly darkened (around 2-4 minutes).
- Next add the coconut milk, vegetable broth, tamari sauce and sugar; bring everything to the boil, then reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes or so.
- Whilst the soup simmers away, in a separate pot heat the noodles following the package instructions.
- Once done, set them aside.
- Next, in a frying pan, heat some oil and pan fry the shiitake mushrooms with a pinch of salt and pepper. Once done, set them aside.
- Prepare the other 'final touch' ingredients for when the soup is ready to be served.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.