If you’re trying to up your meal prep game, making your own dips and sauces can be a game changer! This pesto that is packed with nutrients, full of flavors, and so versatile. You can serve it with pasta, slather it on your toast, use it in sandwiches, serve it with roasted vegetables and proteins, use it in pizza, salads, etc. As you can see the options are endless! The traditional pesto recipe includes basil, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese. To make it dairy-free I always skip the Parmesan and use nutritional yeast instead for a subtle cheesy flavor and added nutrients such as the vitamin B family, iron, selenium, zinc, and protein. If you’re sensitive to nutritional yeast, you can skip it completely and go for hemp hearts. It will still turn out delicious.
Kale Walnut Pesto Pasta (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- 2 cups packed kale
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove
- Unrefined sea salt, black pepper & chili flakes, to taste
- Dash of water, if needed
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Mix with pasta or serve with veggies and enjoy!