Anytime I am making a salad I want everyone to enjoy, I add a lot of different ingredients. It just makes the dish so much more interesting and fun. This salad has a lot of components and will take a little prep time but it is SO worth it. It’s one of my favorite salads I’ve ever made! The flavors just compliment each other so nicely!
Kale Salad With Roasted Butternut Squash and Sriracha Vinaigrette [Vegan]
- 1 head kale, stems removed and leaves torn into small pieces.
- seeds of 1 pomegranate
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups peeled & diced butternut squash – about 1 large squash (You can even buy this pre-peeled and cut at some grocery stores)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- chili lime seasoning
- garlic flavored salad dressing
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- First prepare your butternut squash. If you are using a whole butternut squash, peel your squash, remove inner seeds with a spoon, and cut it into cubes. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil, a little sea salt and 1 Tbs chili lime seasoning (I always use a ziplock bag for this step). Place on a large baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and bake, tossing occasionally, until edges begin to brown, about 30-40 mins. I sometimes broil them for a few minutes right at the end to get them nice and crispy but that is purely optional!
- While your squash is cooking, cook your quinoa. In a large saucepan over medium high heat add 2 cups of quinoa to 4 cups of water. Cover and let cook until all the water is absorbed, about 20 mins.
- While your quinoa is cooking, prepare your carmelized onions. In a medium sized saute pan over medium high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and let it begin to simmer. Then add diced onions and a dash of salt and pepper. Stir to coat and let cook down, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once your quinoa is done cooking, toss it in a large bowl with kale pieces, caramelized onions, and a generous drizzle of dressing and Sriracha to taste. Taste and adjust dressings according to taste.
- Top with cooked butternut squash, avocado slices, and fresh pomegranate seeds.