Make ordinary pesto a bit more interesting by throwing in some kale and then slathering on top of your favorite pizza crust. Top it all off with some homemade vegan goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and pickled peppers for a beyond delish pizza.
Kale Pesto Pizza With ‘Goat’ Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pesto:
- 2 cups fresh kale
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup nuts of choice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (or less)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
For the Vegan Goat Cheese:
- 1/2 block of extra firm tofu, patted dry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons refined coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 teaspoon onion powder
For the Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
For the Toppings:
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Pickled peperoncini peppers
- Prepare the dough by mixing the yeast in the water and letting it sit for 10 minutes to activate.
- Place the flour in a large bowl and once the time has elapsed, mix in the water/yeast mixture into the flour. Let sit for 30 minutes to rise.
- In the meantime, prepare the pesto by adding the kale, basil, nuts, and garlic in a food processor and pulse to combine until the mixture is coarsely ground.
- Turn the motor on and drizzle the olive oil in a thin stream. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse a few times to combine evenly.
- Prepare all of your toppings; if you want to pan dry the mushrooms prior to baking, do so.
- Steam the kale that will do on top.
- Once the dough has risen, roll it out into one large pizza or two small ones. Add pesto (and marinara if using), and add all of your toppings.
- Bake at 375-400°F for 25-30 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes of baking, add on the goat cheese chunks.