Nikujaga is a classic Japanese comfort food, something that every household makes a bit differently so that everyone craves the way their mom makes it. I have been craving nikujaga, so decided to come up with a veganized version. I am super happy with the result!
Nikujaga: Japanese Meat and Potatoes [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup textured soy protein
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 4 medium golden potatoes (something like a Yukon gold)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch long pieces
- 1 cup kombu shiitake dash (or water)
- 8 large, fresh (not dried) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce (or gluten-free tamari)
- 1/3 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons date sugar, or your sugar of choice
- 4 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 snow peas, cut in half
- Shichimi togarashi, to garnish
- Put the TSP and boiling water in a medium-size bowl and stir them together. Set the bowl aside and let it sit for 10 minutes to allow the TSP to rehydrate. Before using, give it another stir.
- Place the potatoes, carrots, and dashi (or water) in a pot, cover, and cook for 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add the rehydrated TSP, mushrooms, soy sauce, mirin, date sugar, garlic, and nutritional yeast and gently stir everything together. Then partially cover the pot with the lid (this slows evaporation down slightly), and simmer until the potatoes and carrots are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the snow peas and simmer for another minute, then remove the port from the heat. Serve with a sprinkling of shichimi togarashi (optional) and a side of steamed rice.