This Vegan Jambalaya is a meatless twist to a Cajun favorite! The spicy flavors meld together with rice and beans for a great one-pot meal. Beans, rice, and vegan sausage take center stage in this hearty vegan jambalaya. Traditional Cajun comfort food can dish out as much or as little heat as you’d like. For an added kick, use vegan Cajun sausage and even fire-roasted tomatoes.
Jambalaya with Sausage [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Jambalaya with Sausage [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 14 oz package vegan sausage, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion,chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons cajun seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14oz can black or red beans
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- fresh chopped parsley and green onion for topping
How to Prepare Jambalaya with Sausage [Vegan]
- In a large pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium-high. Add the sliced vegan sausages and 1 tablespoon of the cajun seasoning and sauté until browned. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the tablespoon of vegan butter and let it melt. Then add in the veggie mix. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper. Stir and cook for 1 more minute.
- Next, add the crushed tomatoes, beans, Worcestershire sauce, rice, and veggie broth to the pan. Stir well, bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer (covered) and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the rice is cooked. Stir frequently to make sure the rice doesn’t burn and stick to the bottom of the pot. Add vegetable broth as needed if the mixture starts to dry out.
- Add the cooked vegan sausage back into the pan and mix. Remove from heat.
- Top with chopped parsley and green onions, and enjoy!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.