This recipe for a vegan or vegetarian Italian white bean soup is one of the easiest recipes in my repertoire, simple in the preparation and the ingredients. But despite, or perhaps because of, its simplicity, this Italian bean soup (in the original Zuppa di fagioli or Fasoli cu l'accia) is extremely tasty. And also very healthy!
Italian White Bean Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Italian White Bean Soup [Vegan]
- approx. 250 g (approx. 1 cup) dried white beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil & a little more for serving
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1.5 liters of water
- a bunch of celery
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
How to Prepare Italian White Bean Soup [Vegan]
- Soak the beans in water for at least 10 hours (overnight). The beans should be well covered with water.
- Dice the carrot and onion and cut the celery into finger-sized pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the carrots and onions until the onions are translucent.
- Now pour in water and cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Then add the celery pieces and cook the soup for another 45 minutes or until the beans are soft.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, add the vegetable stock powder. This is only happening now because of the salt content, because it would make it harder for the beans to soften.
- Finally, add the salt and pepper to the soup and season to taste.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.