I've been making this dish almost every week for months. It’s a great way to pack lots of veggies in (six different types, in fact) and the black olives and warm crusty chunks of bread are heavenly. This is more of a lunch dish, but you could easily add some chickpeas or your favorite bean to turn this into dinner. The base of the sauce is rich and jam-packed with flavor, so don’t pass up this sheet pan delight.
Reprinted with permission from One-Pan Vegan by Luce Hosier. Page Street Publishing Co. 2022. Photo credit: Luce Hosier.
Italian Veggie Sheet Bake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Italian Veggie Sheet Bake [Vegan]
- 1 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 eggplants, halved and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large or 2 small red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 (15-oz [425-g]) cans chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) dried oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup (90 g) black olives
- 2 slices of bread of choice, torn into chunks
- 9 oz (255 g) vine or cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
How to Prepare Italian Veggie Sheet Bake [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C or gas mark 4) and scatter the zucchini, eggplant, peppers and onion pieces onto the sheet pan. Drizzle the vegetables with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the olive oil, season with ¼ teaspoon of the salt and place into the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the canned tomatoes, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the oregano, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and black olives.
- Put the bread chunks in a small bowl and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of oil and ½ teaspoon of oregano. Toss to combine.
- After the veggies have baked for 20 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and pour the tomato mixture over the veggies. Use a spatula to coat the vegetables in the sauce and then place the vine or cherry tomatoes on top. Place the pan back into the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the bread chunks to the pan. Return the pan to the oven to bake for a final 10 minutes, until the bread chunks have hardened and turned crispy. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.