Oven-baked veggie burgers that turn out just the right chewy texture with crispy edges. Who would have guessed these are actually good for you and so easy to make!
Italian Veggie Burgers [Vegan]
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans (2 cans, drained and rinsed)
- ¾ cup organic pasta or pizza sauce
- ½ cup oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- handful fresh basil leaves (or a tablespoon dry basil)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6-8 wholegrain buns (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- ¼ cup more pasta/pizza sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put all burger patty ingredients into a food processor or a high speed blender and pulse until compact (you might have to do this in batches if you have a small processor).
- With a spoon, drop the mixture on the prepared baking sheet and shape into patties using wet hands or the spoon. The mixture will be quite wet but don’t worry, it'll thicken up during baking!
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the patties firm up and get slightly golden at the edges.
- Spread the pesto evenly on the inside of burger buns, add the patties and top each with the remaining pasta or pizza sauce.