You’ll be floating too after downing this irresistible beverage that combines root beer and spiced rum–soaked black cherries with your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream. It would be “wise” of you to savor every sip.
It Floats [Vegan]
- Spiced Rum–Soaked
- Black Cherries
- 1 cup (140 g) pitted black cherries
- 1 cup (240 ml) spiced rum
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
Cherry Blood Syrup
- 1 cup (240 ml) cherry juice
- 1 cup (125 g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Root Beer Float
- ¾ cup (180 ml) craft bottled root beer
- 1 or 2 scoops vegan vanilla ice cream
- Vegan whipped topping, for serving
- To make the spiced rum–soaked black cherries: In a large saucepan, heat the black cherries, spiced rum, and granulated sugar over medium heat until warmed but not boiling. Remove from the heat and let soak in the pan for 2 hours. Do not drain. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- To make the cherry blood syrup: In a medium saucepan, bring the the cherry juice, confectioners’ sugar, and cayenne to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently until a syrup forms. Let the mixture cool, then transfer it to a squeeze bottle or another container for drizzling.
- To make the root beer float: Frost your favorite large mug or glass (12 to 16 ounces, or 350 to 475 ml) in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Pour the root beer into the frosted mug, then add the ice cream in scoops.
- Top with 3 or 4 of the spiced rum–soaked black cherries and whipped topping.
- Drizzle with the cherry blood syrup.