Dairy-Free Irish Cream Mousse – Recreate the flavors of the beloved cream-based liqueur in this light, boozy, and airy dessert that’s perfectly dairy-free!
Irish Cream Mousse [Vegan]
- 1 can coconut cream
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/4 cup of dairy-free bittersweet chocolate
- 1/8 cup plus 1 tablespoon Jameson Irish Whisky
- 1/2 cup aquafaba
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles (optional)
- Refrigerate the coconut milk overnight. Once you’re ready to make your mousse, open the three cans of coconut cream and poke a hole through the thick coconut layer at the top of the can and drain off the liquid milky contents of the can. You will be using the thick layer. The remaining thin, milky layer may be discarded or you can drink it or use it in another recipe.
- Add the coconut cream to a chilled metal mixing bowl. Beat on medium-high speed for 5 minutes until the cream is thick. Next, add the powdered sugar and vanilla to the bowl and beat for an additional minute. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the mixture and place it in a covered container in the refrigerator to use later as the whipped cream topping.
- Place the dairy-free bittersweet chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. You can use chocolate chips or a chocolate bar that has been broken into pieces. Microwave on low pow1-minute minute intervals, stirring each time, until the chocolate is just melted.
- While continuously mixing, add the instant coffee to the bowl. Do the same, one at a time, with the melted chocolate and then the Jameson Irish Whisky. Continue to beat until evenly combined and then place the mixture in the refrigerator to chill while you work on the next part of the recipe.
- In another bowl beat the aquafaba, cream of tartar and a pinch of salt on medium-high speed until it triples in volume and forms stiff peaks. This will take 7-10 minutes.
- Remove the coconut cream mixture from the refrigerator and slowly fold the aquafaba mixture into it. You’ll do this by folding in about a quarter of the mixture at a time with a spatula. Fold until the aquafababa is completely incorporated, but take care not to over mix.
- Divide the mousse among 4 cups, bowls, or ramekins and place them in the freezer for 30 minutes. Next, transfer them to the refrigerator to chill covered for a least 1 hour but up to 5 days.
- To serve place a dollop of the coconut whipped cream you reserved earlier on top of each mousse dish and serve chilled. Garnish with St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles (optional).