This instant pot mushroom risotto is packed with a diverse array of mushrooms: shiitake, hen of the wood, and oyster mushrooms add an earthy flavor to this classic creamy dish. Plus, mushrooms have a nice meaty texture that works great with dishes like risotto. Because of the instant pot, this risotto is also ridiculously easy to make. or a budget-friendly mushroom, choose any variety of white common mushroom. Cremini and other brown tops may push the flavor a bit too rich for some palates, but if rich and mushroomy is to your fancy, here’s the dish for you! This instant pot mushroom risotto is a great dinner that will make you feel a little fancy without hurting your wallet. Try it out!
Instant Pot Wild Mushroom Risotto [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 6 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups chopped assorted mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot™ and add the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until just soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional 30 seconds. Add the rice and sauté 4 minutes or until the rice becomes opaque.
- Add 5 cups vegetable broth to the pot. Lock the lid into place, press the Manual button, and adjust timer to 6 minutes. When the timer beeps, quick-release pressure until float valve drops and then unlock lid.
- Press the Sauté button on the pot and stir in the remaining broth and the mushrooms. Let the risotto simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Add the margarine to the risotto and season with salt and pepper just before serving.
The technique used to make risotto results in a creamy consistency without the use of milk or soy milk. Instead, the creaminess is achieved by gradually adding broth to rice while stirring.