Ready for some wholesome Indian comfort food? This sweet potato and spinach pie is flaky and fragranced with a delicious spice blend. Serve it with raita, an herby yogurt dip that pairs perfectly with the warm flavors of this dish.
Indian Sweet Potato and Spinach Pie [Vegan]
For the Pie:
- 5 1/2 cups sweet potato
- 7-ounce bag of spinach leaves
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 thumb ginger
- Juice from 1 1/2 lemons
- 0.9 ounces fresh coriander, stalks removed
- 6 filo pastry sheets
- Olive oil
- Nigella seeds
For the Yogurt Dip:
- 1/2 medium cucumber
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 of 1 red chili, to taste
- 6-ounce package of non-dairy yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat some salted water in a large saucepan.
- Peel sweet potato and cut into slices. Transfer sweet potato when water is boiling and cook for 6-8 minutes. They should be slightly underdone. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Add finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, mustard seeds, ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala, grated ginger, and turmeric. Cook gently to release aromas until the onion is soft.
- Add spinach to the pan and sauté until cooked. Set aside.
- Brush a nine-inch pie dish with some olive oil. Line with one filo sheet. Brush the filo sheet with olive oil and lay a second one on top to make a cross. Brush this second sheet with olive oil. Lay a third sheet at a 45° angle from the first filo sheet. Brush with olive oil. Lay a fourth sheet at a 45-degree angle from the second filo sheet. Brush with olive oil. Make sure that you leave enough filo pastry overhanging on each layer so it can be folded over the pie later. By now your pie dish should be entirely lined up with filo pastry.
- Mash sweet potato to chunks with a fork. You do not want to mash them too fine otherwise, the pie will be too soft. Add to spinach mixture along with finely chopped coriander bunch. Add lemon juice. Mix together until well blended. Season to taste.
- Add this filling to the pie dish. Distribute it evenly, pressing it down slightly.
- Cover with one filo pastry sheet. Brush it with olive oil. Lay a second one on top to make a cross. Brush again with olive oil.
- Carefully fold the overhanging pastry over the top of the pie, scrunching them up. Brush top of the pie with olive oil and sprinkle some nigella seeds all over.
- Cook pie in the oven for around 30-35 minutes until golden and crisp.
- While the pie is cooking prepare the raita (yogurt dip) by mixing the yogurt, crushed garlic, lemon juice, ground cumin, chopped mint, and chopped coriander. Peel and deseed cucumber.
- Grate cucumber with a cheese grater. Mix in yogurt mixture. Season to taste. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- When the pie is ready, leave it to rest for 10 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with dip on the side.