A simple dish that's not too spicy, made with peas and spices. This Indian-inspired quinoa dish is filling enough to be enjoyed on its own, or as your go-to bed of grains for a variety of curries.
Indian-Style Quinoa and Peas [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 25-30 curry leaves
- 1-2 Thai red chilis, or 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 an onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 cups frozen or fresh green peas
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups quinoa, plus 3 cups water
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- A handful of fresh cilantro
- In a medium sized pot heat the coconut oil, add the mustard seeds, and curry leaves. When the seeds start to pop, add the chili, garlic, ginger, and onion and cook until everything starts to brown.
- Add remaining ingredients quinoa, water, coconut milk, peas, and salt and cook on high until it starts boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Finish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve hot or cold.