This is a variation of classic Indian onion fritters with kale, onions, thyme, and curry leaves. Perfect with a cup of tea!
Indian Onion and Kale Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 medium sized red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped baby kale leaves or spinach
- 1 cup of besan or chickpea flour
- 15 curry leaves
- 11/2 tablespoons thyme or 1/4 teaspoon carom seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon red cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- Oil for frying
- Separate the pieces and layers of the onions and set aside with the kale or spinach.
- In a large bowl, whisk the besan, thyme, red cayenne powder, salt, turmeric and cilantro.
- Stir in about 1 cup of cold water, this should be done gradually to ensure a batter that is slightly thinner than pancake batter, but thick enough to coat.
- Stir in the onions and spinach.
- In a heavy bottom skillet add about 1 and 1/2 cups of canolla oil, about 11/2 inches deep. Heat the oil until a crumb when tested dances up to the surface.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of the batter, gently allowing the onions to fan out in strands.
- Fry on medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, this should NOT be done on high heat.
- Turn and fry again, the color of the fritters should be a comfortable golden brown color.
- Remove from the fire, drain on paper towels and serve.