For those of you who aren't in the know, a calzone is a giant, hot and bubbly pizza pocket. Yeah ... it's kind of insane. Who comes up with this stuff? Anyway, this version is stuffed with creamy hummus and savory veggies – and it only takes an hour to make, start to finish! Calzones for dinner tonight, anyone?
Hummus and Veggie-Stuffed Calzone [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (or sugar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 3 cups sautéed mushrooms
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
For the Topping and For Baking:
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- Warm up the water. It should still be easy to touch. If it's too hot, you will kill the yeast and the dough won't rise.
- Put the yeast, maple syrup (or sugar) and half of the water in a large glass, stir lightly and keep in a warm place until the yeast starts to foam and rise, about 10 minutes.
- Put the flour and the salt in a large bowl and mix them.
- Add the yeast mixture along with the rest of the water to the bowl. Start combining and kneading with your hand. When the flour and water are more or less combined, add the olive oil.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, using folding and pressing motions. The dough should turn out quite soft and stretchy.
- Cover the top of the bowl (stretch film works well), wrap the bowl with towels, and keep in a very warm place if possible. Let the dough rise for about 40 minutes. It should at least double in size.
- When the dough has risen enough, split it in half (this makes two large pizzas).
- Now is a good time to start pre-heating the oven to 500°F.
- Dust a clean surface with flour, take a tennis ball size dough and hand-roll the dough, working from the center outwards.
- Spread hummus and the filling mixture over half of the dough.
- Fold the dough over in half and pinch the edges together to seal.
- Transfer to baking sheet. Brush the top with olive oil. Bake until golden, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool five minutes before serving.