Homemade grain-free pasta is no longer just a dream — it's a reality. This lentil pasta is amazingly easy to make and the results are unparalleled. It's high-protein, high-fiber, and so filling, you need only a small plate in order to be satisfied. It has a hearty texture that pairs perfectly with the creamy, yet refreshing spinach pesto.
Homemade Lentil Pasta [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free]
For the Lentil Pasta:
- 10.58 ounces lentil flour (from about 4 cups dry lentils)
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
For the Pesto:
- 3.5 ounces spinach (about 1/2 cup)
- 10 raw cashews
- 1 onion
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 1/2-inch piece ginger root
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/8 cup walnuts or hazelnuts
- 10 basil leaves
- First, make the lentil flour by pulsing dry lentils in a food processor until a fine texture is achieved.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spread the lentil flour over it, and bake at 90°F for 3 hours, then let cool.Soak cashews for an hour. Coarsely the chop walnuts or hazelnuts.
- Mix the lentil flour with water, oil, and salt, then let it rest covered for 30 minutes.
- Next, take the pasta dough and roll it into thin sheets with a rolling pin. Cut into short rectangles and let dry.
- Steam the spinach for 30 seconds. Let cool, then squeeze out excess moisture and place it in a blender with cashews (drained), salt, basil, olive oil, and ginger root.
- In a pan, quickly cook the onion in a little olive oil and salt.
- Boil the pasta for 5 minutes in water, drain, and toss with pesto, onion, lemon zest, and an extra sprinkle of hazelnuts and walnuts.