This combination of mushrooms, soy sauce, and red wine give this seitan a deep umami flavor. Making your own meat substitute might seem like a complicated task, but this recipe is easy to follow and will leave you with results far better than processed, packaged seitan!
Homemade Beefy Seitan [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Homemade Beefy Seitan [Vegan]
For the Seitan:
- 8 ounces Cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 rounded teaspoon vegan beef bouillon paste or 1 vegan beef bouillon cube
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
For the Broth:
- 8 cups water
- 2 rounded teaspoons vegan beef bouillon paste or 2 vegan beef bouillon cubes
How to Prepare Homemade Beefy Seitan [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 18x12-inch baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the mushrooms, soy sauce, red wine, garlic, and bouillon paste in a food processor. Process until liquefied, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Whisk the vegetable broth into the mushroom mixture. Using your hands, stir in the wheat gluten. Keep mixing with your hands to make a soft dough, about 5 minutes. If the dough seems too wet, add another 2 tablespoons of wheat gluten.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into two loaves. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. While the dough is baking, prepare the simmering broth. In a large pot, combine the water and bouillon paste. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a low simmer.
- When the seitan is done baking, add it to the broth and cover with the lid slightly ajar. Keep the broth at just below a simmer and do not allow it come to a boil or your seitan will get spongy. Simmer for 1 hour. After 1 hour, turn off the heat and allow the seitan to cool for a few hours in the broth. When cool enough to handle, remove the seitan and cool completely. Store unused seitan in a covered container with some of the broth in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Total Calories: 1364 | Total Carbs: 61 g | Total Fat: 5 g | Total Protein: 244 g | Total Sodium: 7452 g | Total Sugar: 9 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.