These herby flatbreads packed with homemade pickles, fresh greens, and avocado are the perfect lunch! This recipe is very customizable — you get to pick your flavor profile as far as herbs and spices go. The pickles really lift this dish and provide a perfect tangy twist against the creamy avocado and herby flatbread.
Herby Flatbread With Pink Pickles [Vegan]
2 jars of pickles and 6 flatbreads
- 2 small red onions
- Bunch of rainbow chard, stalks only
- 1 cup of white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of whole spices of choice
- Scant 3/4 cup tepid water
- 1 sachet fast action yeast
- 1 teaspoon rice malt syrup/agave
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 2 tablespoons mixed dried herbs (or subtitute 4 tablespoon fresh herbs)
- 2-4 tablespoons coconut/avocado oil
- Prepare your pink pickles by finely slicing the red onion as thinly as possible and rainbow chard into 1/2-inch pieces. Put both into separate clean sterilized jars (or mix together in one if you like).
- Add vinegar, salt, sugar and spices in a small jug and pour over the onion and chard. Ensure the vegegable is fully covered. Set aside.
- Prepare flatbreads by mixing water, yeast and rice malt syrup in a small bowl with a fork. Leave for a few minutes to get frothy.
- To a medium sized mixing bowl, add flours, salt, and mixed herbs. Mix well and add in the liquid. Knead for at least five minutes until smooth and springy. Cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Separate dough into 6 pieces and knead each piece for a few seconds, before shaping into a ball.
- Heat a skillet or heavy bottomed pan to a medium/high temperature and brush the pan with a thin layer of oil.
- Roll out into circles on a floured surface and cook one by one in your oiled pan. Reapply a thin layer of oil before cooking the next one.
- Serve immediately with pink pickles, avocado, fresh salad, and hummus.