Loaded with lentils, kidney beans, and chickpeas, this chili is low in fat while being very high in pure plant-based protein! This will help to keep you fuller longer and less inclined to grab at that bag of potato chips later on in the evening.
Hearty High-Protein Lentil, Kidney Bean, and Chickpea Chili [Vegan]
- 2 cups lentils, cooked or canned
- 2 cups kidney beans, cooked or canned
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked or canned
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 mushrooms, Cremini, chopped
- 2 handfuls of spinach, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt
- Chop all your veggies, get that prep going!
- Once everything is ready, add the olive oil and the liquid smoke to a large pot over medium heat.
- To this add your onions and allow them to sweat down and brown up.
- Next add your mushrooms, and minced garlic, allowing them to release their liquids and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Throw in the bell pepper and the chopped spinach, cooking until the spinach is fully wilted.
- Now it’s time to add all of your beans, toss in the lentils, kidney beans, and chickpeas into the pot.
- Stir everything to combine.
- Add in all your spices and mix them throughout.
- Finally throw in the crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and almond milk.
- Allow this to simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes partially covered.
- Taste your creation and add more spices if it suits your fancy.
- Top with cashew cream cheese and spring onions for the perfect bowl of chili!