These gluten-free and refined sugar-free oat bars are high in protein, layered with gooey date caramel, and topped with decadent chocolate.
Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Caramel Oat Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Oat Layer:
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 scoop vegan protein
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup agave or other liquid sweetener
For the Caramel Layer:
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons agave or other liquid sweetener
For the Pecan Layer:
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
For the Chocolate Layer:
- 2.8 ounces vegan chocolate
- Place all oat layer ingredients (leaving out 1/4 cup of the oats) into a food processor and blend until you have a dough like consistency. You may need to stop and scrape the sides. Add in the 1/4 cup remaining oats and blend just until combined.
- Press the oat layer evenly into the bottom of a 6x6-inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- For the caramel layer, place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. You will definitely need to scrape the sides between blending. Be patient, it will blend. Press the caramel layer over the oat layer.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans over the caramel and use your fingertips to press them slightly down into the caramel.
- Gently melt chocolate and pour over the pecans and caramel layer. Let the bars sit at room temperature for chocolate to firm up. Remove from pan and cut into bars. Serve or place in the refrigerator for a colder bar.