This vegan chili is the perfect large pot meal to make ahead of time, especially on a rainy day. You’ll have leftovers that are great for additional quick meals. The chili is incredibly healthy made with lots of veggies and beans that are a great source of protein, leaving you feeling satisfied. It’s a wonderful meal to help shed some of those unwanted winter pounds, allowing you to look and feel your best!
Healthy Chili [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon divided
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 2 cups cubed)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder (or cayenne)
- 1 jar (24-ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon sea salt divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and cube butternut squash into 1 inch cubes.
- On a baking sheet toss butternut squash with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and 1/8 tsp. sea salt.
- Bake squash for approximately 20 minutes.
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onion, garlic and chili powder for 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add zucchini and thyme, cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add the jar of crushed tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, roasted butternut squash, chipotle powder and ¼ tsp. sea salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- If desired, garnish with scallions, or try guacamole for a creamy more decadent garnish.