Muhammara is a boldly-flavored Middle Eastern red pepper dip that's good on absolutely everything. This version is just as flavorful and easy to make as the original, but raw walnuts and sprouted grain bread give it a boost of whole grains, fiber, and good fats.
Healthier Muhammara (Red Pepper Dip) [Vegan]
- 7 ounces red bell pepper (about 2 medium sized peppers)
- 1 slice of sprouted wheat bread toasted very well then torn into pieces (we’re using this as a substitute for breadcrumbs). You could also use 1/4 cup of unsweetened sprouted wheat cereal.
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt to taste
- Simply add all ingredients to a food processor and combine until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
You can also keep the recipe entirely raw by adding another 1/4 cup walnuts instead of the toasted sprouted grain bread, it’s up to you!