These vegan hasselback sweet potatoes are a great combination of sweet and savory flavors. The cranberries provide tartness to compliment the sweet potatoes and apple, and provide great textural pops. Super simple, but SO impressive. This creation is colorful and is perfect to combine with any other holiday dish, or to eat by itself.
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes With Apple Cranberry Relish [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Apple Cranberry Relish:
- 2 apples, diced into small pieces
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped into small pieces
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
For the Sweet Mustard Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of mustard (no sugar added)
- Pinch of stevia, to taste
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the sweet potatoes as thinly as possible - I've seen people set them on top of chopsticks to avoid going all the way through the potato, but if you're careful, the chopsticks aren't necessary!
- Set the sliced potatoes in an oven safe casserole dish or on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- To make the apple cranberry relish, simply dice the apple and cranberries into small pieces. You could also use a blender or food processor until they're in fine pieces. Add orange juice and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- After 30 minutes, take the potato out of the oven and carefully spoon some of the apple/cranberry relish into the cracks of the potatoes.
- Put the potatoes back into the oven to bake for another 15-30 minutes, until the potato is soft and cooked through - this will vary based on the size of your potato/variance in oven temperatures, so just watch it!
- Remove the potatoes from the oven when tender and allow to cool - top with more apple/cranberry relish and sweet mustard sauce to serve.