For those unfamiliar, Slush Puppies are like Slurpees (and I had my fill of both once in high school)- the ingredient list of the original likely reads: high fructose corn syrup, red dye # 3 and/or Blue #2, water. Since creating a healthful alternative, I am in smoothie heaven. The sweetness and tang of the pineapple is a lovely compliment to the beet’s earthiness. And you can just feel your body taking in those anti-cancer phytonutrients, thanking you with every sip.
Grown Up Antioxidant Slushie [Vegan, Raw]
1 to 1 1/2 pints
- 1 large beetroot (preferably organic)
- 1/4 pineapple
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups ice
- variation: use 1 cup ice and 1 cup frozen coconut water. It will be slightly sweeter, so if you enjoy the sweetness level as is, use less pineapple or more beets!
- Remove the greens from your beetroot- if you like (and you should!) reserve the greens for dinner. No need to peel your beetroots.
- When cutting your pineapple, keep the core in there (Fiber! The crowning glory of blended juice). Cut the beet in a few chunks- same for the pineapple.
- Throw beets, then pineapple, then ice into a Vitamix or other high powered blender.
- Squish down ingredients with the tamper- the beets and ice will take a little pushing just to get them going.
- Process on high for about 60 seconds- not much longer or you’ll just have juice.
- Pour into glasses and drink immediately! Yum. Pink mustache removal is optional.