This sandwich is melty, sweet, and salty. It's simply outta this world. Onions are caramelized and then cooked with fresh pineapple, making the pineapple tender and allowing the flavors to mix. The cheese is stretchy like it should be, and the bread is crisp and buttery from the skillet.
Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Pineapple [Vegan]
- Cover the bottom of a frying pan in olive oil (or an olive oil/vegan butter mix) and put the burner on medium to medium-high heat. Depending on your stove and burners, you may need to reduce the heat to keep the onions from burning.
- Slice the onions to your desired thickness, add to the pan and stir to coat with oil.
- After about 10 minutes, add some salt to the onions and stir.
- Fry the onions for 20 more minutes. Stir occasionally, but not too much, or the onions won’t brown. If necessary, add a little water now and then.
- While the onions are cooking, chop the pineapple, slice the cheese, and butter one side of each piece of bread.
- After you’ve cooked the onions for at least 30 minutes, add the chopped pineapple to the onions and cook for 5 more minutes to warm/soften them a bit. Then remove the onions/pineapple from the pan and quickly wipe clean.
- Put the burner back on medium to medium-high heat, and add some butter/oil to the pan.
- Place bread slices buttered side down, followed by cheese, top with onion/pineapple mixture, more cheese, and finally, the second slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cover the pan (so cheese melts) and cook about 3-5 minutes — you want the bread to be brown but not burn.
- Flip the sandwiches and repeat.
- Cheesy Recipes