This wonderful soup comes together in about 15 minutes once all your ingredients are prepped. The tahini adds creaminess and a bit of body, but doesn't overpower the soup!
Green Spinach and Tahini Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced (reserve a small handful of leaves, if you have them)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper, plus extra to taste
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra to taste
- 4 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups parsley leaves, tightly packed
- 6 cups baby spinach, packed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Sauteed Shiitakes: 8-ounce package shiitake mushrooms (sliced), 1 teaspoon coconut oil or avocado oil, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- herbs (parsley, basil, cilantro are all nice)
- pea shoots
- hemp hearts
- Place a medium-sized pot over medium heat and add the coconut oil. Swirl to melt, then add the diced onion. Saute for a few minutes, then add diced celery, garlic, salt and ground pepper. Cook for a few more minutes until softened. Add the water and apple cider vinegar and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add the parsley, baby spinach and celery leaves and stir. Once the greens have wilted, remove from heat. Puree using a hand blender, or transfer (in batches, if necessary) to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Add tahini, blend again, and taste - add extra salt (I generally add another 1/4 teaspoon), pepper, or tahini to taste. It should be balanced, light and slightly salty and you should be able to taste the pepper.
- As the soup comes to a simmer, heat a small pan to medium high for the mushrooms (optional). Add oil, sliced shiitakes, and salt and stir. Let the mushrooms sit in the pan without stirring for 2 minutes, then stir and leave to sear for another 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to low until ready to use.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Carefully garnish with herbs, pea shoots, sauteed shiitake mushrooms, hemp hearts and extra black pepper.
Leftovers keep well refrigerated for 3 days. Reheat gently to serve. Enjoy!