This wonderful soup comes together in about 15 minutes once all your ingredients are prepped. The tahini adds creaminess and a bit of body, but doesn't overpower the soup!
Green Spinach and Tahini Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Green Spinach and Tahini Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced (reserve a small handful of leaves, if you have them)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper, plus extra to taste
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra to taste
- 4 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups parsley leaves, tightly packed
- 6 cups baby spinach, packed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Sauteed Shiitakes: 8-ounce package shiitake mushrooms (sliced), 1 teaspoon coconut oil or avocado oil, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- herbs (parsley, basil, cilantro are all nice)
- pea shoots
- hemp hearts
How to Prepare Green Spinach and Tahini Soup [Vegan]
- Place a medium-sized pot over medium heat and add the coconut oil. Swirl to melt, then add the diced onion. Saute for a few minutes, then add diced celery, garlic, salt and ground pepper. Cook for a few more minutes until softened. Add the water and apple cider vinegar and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add the parsley, baby spinach and celery leaves and stir. Once the greens have wilted, remove from heat. Puree using a hand blender, or transfer (in batches, if necessary) to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Add tahini, blend again, and taste - add extra salt (I generally add another 1/4 teaspoon), pepper, or tahini to taste. It should be balanced, light and slightly salty and you should be able to taste the pepper.
- As the soup comes to a simmer, heat a small pan to medium high for the mushrooms (optional). Add oil, sliced shiitakes, and salt and stir. Let the mushrooms sit in the pan without stirring for 2 minutes, then stir and leave to sear for another 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to low until ready to use.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Carefully garnish with herbs, pea shoots, sauteed shiitake mushrooms, hemp hearts and extra black pepper.
Leftovers keep well refrigerated for 3 days. Reheat gently to serve. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.