This is a great mac and cheese to add to your repertoire: spicy green chilis kick it up a notch in the flavor department, and a layer of toasted tortilla chips on top adds some extra crunch!
Green Chili Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 pound macaroni, cooked
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup store-bought green chili salsa or sauce
- 4–ounce or 7–ounce can mild green chilis, diced (depending on spice preference)
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- Canola oil spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x12-inch pan lightly with oil. Set aside.
- Add cashews, water, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, cornstarch, salt, onion granules, and garlic granules to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add mixture from the blender into a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk sauce continuously until it becomes thick. This normally takes 5-7 minutes.
- Once sauce is thickened stir in the green chili sauce and diced chilis.
- Stir the thickened sauce with pasta until combined. Pour mixture into the greased pan.
- Top with crushed tortilla chips. Lightly spray with canola oil.
- Place uncovered pan in the preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve warm.