Koulourakia are quick and simple to bake up, and so much fun to make! The dough rolls out easily into a variety of shapes and it’s a job even little hands can do well. Cardamom, cinnamon, and orange zest make these cookies so aromatic and full of flavor, they’ll become your favorites in no time! Mix up a big batch and refrigerate leftover dough for up to two weeks.
Greek Wine Cookies (Koulourakia) [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Greek Wine Cookies (Koulourakia) [Vegan]
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup sweet red wine (a Greek mavrodaphne is a great choice)
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 10 cardamom pods (seeds fresh ground) or 1 1/2 tsp powdered cardamom
How to Prepare Greek Wine Cookies (Koulourakia) [Vegan]
- Combine flour, baking soda, cardamom, and cinnamon well and set aside.
- In large bowl, dissolve sugar in orange juice. Once sugar is completely dissolved, slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Add sweet red wine and orange zest. Whisk well to combine completely.
- Add dry ingredients a cup at a time until ball of dough forms, comes away from the sides of the bowl and no longer sticks to your hands.
- Allow dough to rest, covered with plastic wrap or a dish towel and refrigerated, for at least 30 minutes.
- Pinch off pieces of dough the size of a golf ball. Roll dough into long snakes and twist dough into desired shapes — braids, S shapes, and bird's nests are the most traditional!
- Bake on cookie sheet for 20 minutes in 350 degree oven. The cookies will be a dark brown color almost like a molasses cookie and will be crunchy outside and soft inside.
- This recipe is easily scalable, and I’ve doubled and triple it with good results. Refrigerate any leftover dough, covered, for up to two weeks.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.