These Greek mushroom pitas are easy to make and absolutely delicious. Roasting mushrooms make this pita sandwich meaty and hearty.
Greek Mushroom Pita Sandwich [Vegan]
To Roast Mushrooms:
- 1 lb. Fresh Mushroom, sliced into 1/2-inch thick
- 1 Medium Red Onion, sliced in half and cut into 1/3-inch slices
- 2-3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2~1 teaspoon Paprika
- To taste Salt & Pepper
Other Ingredients to make Pita Sandwich:
- 4 Pitas
- 1/2 cup Hummus
- 2 cups Shredded Cabbage or Lettuce
- As needed Cucumber, thinly sliced
- As needed Tomato, thinly sliced
For Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegan Sour Cream (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/4 cup Cucumber, chopped
- To taste Salt
Roast the Mushrooms:
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper for easy clean up.
Place the chopped mushrooms and red onions on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle the spices – ground cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper. Toss well to combine and spread in a single layer.
Bake for 20~25 minutes, stirring midway to evenly bake the mushrooms.
Make Pita Sandwich:
Briefly warm the pitas on a dry skillet or wrapped in a damp towel in the microwave
Spread hummus on the warm pita either in the pocket or on the pita itself. Top with shredded cabbage/ lettuce, roasted mushroom, cucumber and tomato. Serve right away!!