The result of this recipe is delicious chocolate cupcakes with a deep orange flavor; the orange really shines and is definitely the star of this cupcake! In the frosting, you'll taste the amazing Grand Marnier flavor!
Grand Marnier Orange Chocolate Cupcakes [Vegan]
For the cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (this recipe used soy)
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light-tasting oil (like grapeseed)
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange flavor
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon orange flavor
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons non-dairy milk, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- With an electric mixer, beat non-dairy milk, Grand Marnier, oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and orange flavor. Beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the liquid mixture in batches and beat until all the clumps are gone. Spoon the batter in the prepared muffin pan, about 2/3 full for each.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the cupcakes slowly spring back when pressed with a finger. Transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat the butter with an electric mixer. Mix in Grand Marnier, vanilla extract, orange flavor and salt. Gradually add the icing sugar (1/2 to 1 cup at a time) and mix until fully combined. Add some non-dairy milk if the icing becomes too dense.
- Continue mixing for 5 to 10 minutes until fluffy.