These gingerbread chocolate chip cookies combine the best qualities of classic gingerbread cookies with tradition chocolate chip. They are soft, chewy, super flavorful, and cozy- perfect with a warm mug of hot chocolate!
Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Cookies [Vegan]
About 2 dozen cookies
- 1 3/4 cups flour*
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut or cane sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 flax egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks or chips
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon non dairy milk or water
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Beat together the sugar and molasses with the butter/oil until creamy, then add in the flax egg and vanilla.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until a thick dough is formed, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto prepared cookie sheets and roll into balls. Bake 12-14 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges.
- Meanwhile, mix icing ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Allow cookies to cool on a wire rack, and drizzle with icing. Enjoy!
These have successfully been tested with regular all-purpose flour and with a 1:1 combination of oat flour and gluten-free all purpose flour!